Bur is a financial platform with a core service of providing loans in the medical space in the US. We also provide digital solutions for niche problems in the banking sector. We have a presence in both the US and in Spain, but operate completely remote.
As a Senior Commercial Underwriter at Bur, you would play a critical role in assessing the creditworthiness of commercial loan applications. You would evaluate financial data, analyze risks, and make informed decisions to determine the feasibility of lending to businesses. Your expertise would help the company mitigate risks and make sound lending decisions.
- Risk Assessment: Evaluate commercial loan applications, review financial statements, credit reports, and other relevant information to assess the creditworthiness of businesses. Analyze financial data, including income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, and tax returns, to understand the borrower's financial health.
- Credit Analysis: Conduct comprehensive credit analysis, considering factors such as the borrower's industry, market conditions, and financial ratios. Assess the borrower's ability to repay the loan and determine an appropriate credit limit and interest rate.
- Financial Modeling: Develop financial models to forecast cash flows, perform sensitivity analysis, and assess the impact of different scenarios on the borrower's ability to meet loan obligations. Use these models to evaluate risk exposure and make informed decisions.
- Risk Mitigation: Identify potential risks and red flags in loan applications. Mitigate risks by suggesting appropriate loan structures, collateral requirements, or additional conditions to protect the company's interests.
- Compliance and Regulation: Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and internal policies. Stay updated on industry trends, regulatory changes, and best practices related to commercial lending.
- Relationship Management: Collaborate with Relationship Managers and Loan Officers to gather necessary information, clarify requirements, and ensure a smooth underwriting process. Communicate with borrowers to request additional documentation or seek clarifications when needed.
- Decision Making: Make informed credit decisions based on thorough analysis, internal guidelines, and risk appetite. Present credit recommendations to senior management or credit committees, providing well-supported justifications for lending decisions.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare accurate and comprehensive credit memorandums and underwriting reports, documenting the analysis, findings, and recommendations. Maintain proper records of loan files and ensure adherence to documentation standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or a related field. Additional certifications such as Certified Commercial Underwriter (CCU) may be preferred.
- Significant experience (typically 5+ years) in commercial underwriting, preferably in a financial institution.
- Strong knowledge of commercial lending practices, credit analysis techniques, and risk assessment methodologies.
- Familiarity with financial statements, cash flow analysis, and financial modeling.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements and compliance in commercial lending.
- Proficiency in using underwriting software and financial analysis tools.
- Excellent analytical and critical-thinking skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with complex financial data.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with internal stakeholders and build relationships with clients.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
$50-70k / yr + Equity package
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!